Advertisement Analysis Essay: Writing Tips
Let's first define the analysis essay to understand what it is. Analysis essays imply examination and evaluation of a particular work like books, newspapers, journals, articles or advertisements. No matter what you analyze, your purpose is going to be the same:
- break your subject into components;
- examine each part separately;
- find the connection between those parts.
For instance, if you are assigned to analyze a poem, you will have to find a relation between the content of the poem and its form. If you have to interpret a play, you might need to find a link between the plots and subplots, and follow the character development by discussing their acting during the performance. There might be different goals when it comes to analysis. It's always important to understand clearly what your professor wants you to highlight.
Ad analysis essay is aimed to study a particular advertisement, provide its main points and give your opinion on its impact on the audience. Advertising has played and continues to play a tremendous role in our lives. We face it everywhere: television, the Internet, roads, shops etc. It doesn't matter whether the advertisement is aimed to sell the product or raise the awareness of the audience about something - it's still has a powerful influence. Therefore, it's imperative to analyze advertisements and understand how they work. If you are wondering how to write an ad analysis essay which can impress the readers, then you came to the right place! Check out the guideline below and write an eye-catching ad analysis essay.
Ad analysis essay guidelines for students
Just as every kind of academic writing, an ad analysis essay has a standard structure which should be strictly followed. Before we start discussing this basic structure and its component, we want to give a list of questions related to the advertisement, which you should work on before writing the essay.
- First of all, make an introduction to the subject which is advertised. Your readers might not be familiar with the service or the product advertised in your case. The earlier you introduce the advertisement, the easier it is to comprehend. No matter what your ad discusses or how popular it is - give a small description for everyone to have a clear understanding of what they are going to read in your essay.
- You should also try to understand what "the audience" is. You should realize who you are going to work with because this will help you focus on the right things and highlight those aspects which are interesting for your readers.
- It's also critical to understand the purpose of the advertisement and why you write the essay on this ad. Why are you telling your readers about the mechanism of this particular advertisement? A clear understanding of the purpose will let you write a well-structured paper.
- Another thing you should pay attention to is the thesis. It's an overall point which you discuss in the rest of the essay.
- Take some time to organize your task. There should be a certain order of the things you want to present in your analysis, and you should come up with this sequence before writing.
Your analysis essay should be simple and challenging at same time. Of course, it tries to show what the creator of the advertisement wanted to convey to everyone but you should also help the reader realize all the positive and negative influences of this advertisement. In most cases, the executives try to sell their products to as many people as possible. They might spend fortunes on commercials. The psychological techniques used to convince people are very intricate because they influence our way of thinking subliminally. They alter our preferences and make us buy things we would have never bought. Your readers should get a broader picture of the advertisement and be aware of all the pitfalls it poses. In short, you should describe how effective the ad is or was.
Useful structure tips, and topic examples
We offer a basic structure you can apply while writing an analysis essay. If you want to write a high-quality advertising analysis essay - just follow these simple steps:
- Come up with the title and thesis statement.
- Write the introduction. The introduction aims to capture your readers' attention. As it has been stated before, you should give some background information relevant to your advertisement and indicate your opinion on it to show the position you are taking. In this part of the essay, you should include your thesis statement and description of the topic.
- The body part of the essay. In this section, you lay out the main paragraphs (at least 3 paragraphs for a 500-700-words essay) which support your thesis. Provide the evidence, facts and examples. This will assure the reader that your viewpoint is backed by solid proof. You can use textual evidence which includes a summary, paraphrasing, specific details and quotations. Try to take as much information from the advertisement as you can. Don't miss any details and discuss every single aspect of the ad.
- Conclusion for an advertisement analysis essay. It is the culmination of your whole work. You should summarize all main points and give your final comment about the ad.
Create an advertisement analysis essay outline. Many people skip this part despite the fact that it helps the author organize all their ideas and thoughts. When it comes to outline writing, you should mention what your topic is, why it caught your attention and what your opinion is. What is more, you should include short names for all paragraphs of the essay and a brief description of what you are going to write in each of them.
Take your time to choose the most suitable topic for your advertisement analysis essay. Select what is interesting for both you and the audience. Here are some examples of ad analysis essay topics:
- What is the message behind the Burger King's advertisement "BK Super Seven Incher"?
- Does the new Coca-Cola commercial convince people that they are going to "Open Happiness"?
- Does Bud Light's "drinkability" have "viability"?
- How the military commercials influence our mind